Blackhawks force OT but fall 5-4 to Canucks

The Chicago Blackhawks came back from a 3-1 deficit in the third period, but fell 5-4 in overtime to the Vancouver Canucks in a roller coaster of a game.

The first period started the trend of how this game was going to carry out, and it forced the Hawks to work magic as the game progressed.

With strong sticks and an offensive mentality, the Hawks were on a mission to score some goals. They were all out for attempts, obtaining a 7-3 shot advantage and deeming themselves in charge of the game…that is until Henrik Sedin banked in a shot off of Johnny Oduya and Brent Seabrook to give the Canucks a 1-0 lead with a minute remaining in the first period.

Yes, it was that type of game.

The second period carried that narrative as well. Despite outshooting the Canucks 15-5, they still found a way to fall behind. Brandon Sutter scored 1:32 into the period when he was found all alone in front of Corey Crawford, where he dangled Crow out of his skates.

Ryan Hartman scored two minutes later on the power play, knifing his way through the slot and roofing the puck over Ryan Miller to give the Hawks some life. The goal was Hartman’s 17th of the year, tying Mitch Marner from the Toronto Maple Leafs for fifth amongst rookies.

But, when everything looked golden, when they the Hawks were looking to have found the Canucks weak spot and were cornering them against the boards, they forgot one thing: To back check and play defense.

After containing the Canucks and keeping pressure to a maximum, the Canucks finally caught a break and took advantage of it. On a line change, Reid Boucher was able to redirect a shot from Christopher Tanev, increasing their lead 3-1 and frustrating the entire United Center.

The third period remained frustrating as Sutter scored his second goal of the game a few minutes into the final frame, making it 4-1 in favor of the Canucks.

However, after this goal, something happened. There was a spark that ignited somewhere on the Blackhawks bench that changed the narrative of the game and gave the Hawks a subtle advantage in momentum that caused something magical.

Within three minutes, Marian Hossa and Richard Panik scored two goals near the halfway mark of the period, cutting the deficit to one goal and loading them with confidence for a complete comeback.

With 3:42 remaining, the Hawks were teased as John Hayden seemed to have scored the equalizer and tied the game up at four, but upon further the review the play was deemed offside. Due to that, the Hawks again just had to work a little harder.

With 1:03 remaining, Ryan Hartman received a pass from Patrick Kane in front to tie the game and abolish any frustrations they felt earlier in this game.

With the overtime period in play and both team’s battling hard, only one team found a way to find the back of the net to end the game. That team, however, would be the Canucks.

Daniel Sedin scored mid-way through the overtime period to end the game, ending the Hawks stride and giving themselves the 5-4 victory.

You have to give it to the Hawks. Not many teams who are down 4-1 can comeback and score three goals in the third period to tie the game and bring it to OT. Despite the defensive blowouts, you must give them credit.

This the second game in a row where the Hawks had to score three-plus goals in the third period to tie the game against an opponent in which they dominated. Not the greatest thing you want to see, but it’s important that they got a point.

The Hawks will look to get another win versus the Dallas Stars Thursday night.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s